For those who are not aware yet, my kids and I have this crazy idea this Raya where we plan not to buy any kuih and decided to do all on our own. Yes, we have made kuih before but we will still buy some especially those we think hard to do. But, this year, for some reason, we decided to just give it a shot.
2 nights ago we managed to make 2 kuih ; cornflakes madu and tat nenas. For those who are interested to make them, here are the recipes :
Ingredients (make 100 - 150 cups)
150 gram butter
1 cup of brown sugar
10 tablespoon of honey
How to make it
- Mix butter with brown sugar. Don't use direct heat, but put metal container on pot of boiling water
- Once the mixture is cool off, add cornflakes to it.
- Mix all thoroughly and add honey
- Put the mixture in the mini paper cups and add some colourful sprinkles
- After oven has been preheated, put all this in 150 degrees oven for 10 minutes
Tat Nenas (100 pieces)
250 gram butter
1 egg yolk
10 tablespoon of custard flour
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
400 gram flour
*We did not make our own pineapple fillings, we bought this at the bakery shop*
How to make it
- Mix butter, egg yolk, vanilla essence and custard flour until it blends with each other
- Put flour in the dough little by little until it become soft
- Separate the dough and use the mold to make the flower patterns
- Put the pineapple filling at the center of the mold.
- Insert this to preheated oven and bake at 165 degrees for 20 minutes
Simple isn't it? Trust me, if I can do it, I am pretty sure you can do it better! Alhamdulilah, so far we have made 4 types of kuih raya. Planning to make 4 more types, stage by stage. Insyallah, will complete before Raya.
Our home made kuih may not be as good as those baked by professionals, but the time we spend making this together is just priceless!