I never imagined myself given the opportunity to represent my company for overseas assignment, let alone to be given the chance to go around US for work. It was indeed a tiring trip touring from one state to another, having to take flight every other day, and deprived from real food. The schedule was very tight simply because I don't want to leave my family for too long.
The cities visited goes like this :
New York - Chicago - San Fransisco - Los Angeles - Chicago - Boston - New York
In this trip, I visited about 9 universities, attended 6 engagement sessions with Malaysians and 4 sessions with Malaysian scholars. I also met up with few old friends who have been residing in US for quite sometime. I must say this experience was really valuable. If given the chance to come again, I would want to go to San Fransisco and New York with my family. I love this 2 places and had an awesome time there. The fact that I have 10 years Visa will make this dream easier Insyallah. Talking about Visa, please apply way in advance. It can be a long unpleasant experience for some, Alhamdulilah, in my case, somehow di permudahkan. However, while I was at the US embassy I can hear some interviews which can be intimidating.
Some info based on my limited experience, given the fact that it was a working trip :
- Woodbury Premium Outlet, New York
- Golden Gate Bridge, San Fransisco
- Silicon Valley where Google, Yahoo, Youtube, LinkedIn and Facebook offices are
- Times Square, New York
- Kodak Center, LA
- Any live games, I got to go to baseball match
- Ride of San Fransisco Cable Car or better known as tram
- Broadway Theatre, something I wanted to do but did not have the time. Insyallah, next visit
- Walk at Central Park, this was really an awesome experience
- Try our the subway. Can be an interesting experience, smelly and scary as well :)
- Halal Guys, New York. Awesome kebab and beriani
- Seafood at Fisherman's Wharf, San Fransisco
- US branded stuff like Coach, Cole Hanns, Fossil - Super cheap!!
- Electronic stuff. Got myself Garmin GPS and Kindle. Super cheap as well
- Empire State building, New York
- Rockefeller Center, New York
- Statue of Liberty, New York
- Hollywood Hill, Los Angeles