Sunday, July 29, 2012

Liza Can Bake ~ Raya Cookies In The Making

My better half often tells me how at times I can be this super ambitious person who thinks I can do anything despite the constraint in time. At times I succeed but most of the time I failed. Yes, failure is never good but as cliche as it may sound, not trying is not good either. Like what Thomas Alva Edison said many many years ago, I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

This Raya is no exception. It has been a tradition for me to make some Raya cookies with the kids. We don't make all the cookies, we just make some of them while the rest, we just order and buy from friends. But this year, I decided not to buy or order any but to make all. And to add more pressure to my life, since every year we also buy Raya cookies for my parents and inlaws, this year they will get to "enjoy" cookies made from our home.

So, yesterday, we managed to make 2 types of cookies ; Chocolate Cornflakes and Kuih Dahlia.

My sincere apology, in between battling with flour in the kitchen and also preparing dishes for iftar, I did not get to take photos while we were making the cookies. Thought of sharing the recipes since the making of this Raya cookies were not that hard.

Chocolate Cornflakes

Ingredients
1 box of Cornflakes, not too particular on the brand. I just bought the ones sold in bakery shop, it's 50% cheaper than Nestle or Kellog's
1 bar of cooking chocolate, 1 used the 1 kg ones
Rainbow sprinkles
Small paper cups

How to make it
  1. Melt the cooking chocolate by putting it on a metal container over boiling water. Remember never to melt it using direct heat. You'll destroy the chocolate
  2. Once the chocolate have been melted, mix all on the cornflakes
  3. Put the portion in the small cup and sprinkle with rainbow sprinkles as finishing touch
  4. Put all this in refrigerator for about 10 minutes

Volla! It's ready and can now be put in the plastic container

Biskut Dahlia

Ingredients
300 gram butter - my preference has always been Buttercup
160 gram icing sugar
2 egg yolk
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
240 wheat gram of flour
100 gram of corn flour
160 gram of custard flour
Red cherries for decorations
 
How to make it
  1. Mix icing sugar with butter using mixer till it's fluffy. 
  2. Then add the egg yolk and vanilla essence. Continue mixing this.
  3. Add all the flours one by one, little by little in low speed.
  4. Mix till the mixture is soft and ready to be shaped
  5. Shape it using the Bunga Dahlia patterns and top it of with slices of cherries.
  6. While you are doing the  shaping, make sure you have preheat your oven
  7. Then bake the cookies in the oven on 175 degrees for 15 minutes
  8. Remember to only put your cookies in containers once it's cool off

Simple isn't it. If an idiot who don't know much about baking can do it, I am sure everyone can.

Now the challenge, to keep the cookies away from the kids. As of last night, one container HABIS!

Signing off,

 

1 comment:

Wonderful Life with Mary Kay said...

WOw, rajinnya akak.... Terliur tgk cornflakes cookies tu. Good luck!!